Excellus Health Plan Inc.
Accountant II/III - 000615 (Administrative)
Under the general guidance of the assigned management and in accordance with established systems, and applicable accounting principles, prepares and maintains a compete set of records to show financial transactions of the corporation. The incumbent will perform the accounting functions and activities in accordance with the specific requirements of the accounting area to which assigned, prepare and analyze various tax filings, and/or prepare internal and external financial reports.
• Prepares financial statements and regulatory filings under Statutory Accounting Principles (SAP), Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and other applicable regulation.
• Analyzes and prepare financial schedules, including worksheets, to support journal entries in a manner consistent with ensuring internal and external audit compliance i.e. appropriate documentation and back up.
• Maintains and enhances the controls environment, consistent with Sarbanes Oxley, by applying the internal corporate policies / procedures and external regulations.
• Provides periodic analyses and interpretation of financial statements at both an account level and at the global company level, including the development of processes to accumulate and analyze data spread over multiple systems / locations.
• Interacts with other areas (IT, Actuary, Treasury, A/p, Payroll, etc) in the preparation of monthly internal financial reports, quarterly and annual NYS Insurance Dept reports and other regulatory agency reports
• Backs-up and offers guidance to other accountants in the department (Level III)
• Keeps abreast of developments to the function by attendance at seminars/workshops, and professional society meetings; perusal of publications and, as necessary, independent study
• Provides support to projects/initiatives either within Finance or the wider company
• Establishes and maintains constructive relationships when dealing with outside professionals, institutions, and agencies
• Consistently demonstrates high standards of integrity by supporting the Lifetime Healthcare Companies' mission and values, adhering to the Corporate Code of Conduct, and Leading to the Lifetime Way values and beliefs.
• Maintains high regard for member privacy in accordance with the corporate privacy policies and procedures.
• Regular and reliable attendance is expected and required.
• Performs other functions as assigned by management.
Note: The level of complexity of analysis and preparation increases with level.
We include multiple levels of classification differentiated by demonstrated knowledge, skills, and the ability to manage increasingly independent and/or complex assignments, broader responsibility, additional decision making, and in some cases, becoming a resource to others. In addition to using this differentiated approach to place new hires, it also provides guideposts for employee development and promotional opportunities.
• Bachelors in Accounting
• Level I 2+ years experience
• Level II 4+ years experience
• Level III 5+ years experience, may require CPA certification / MBA for eligibility depending on assigned area
• Strong understanding of financial statements and GAAP. An understanding of Statutory Accounting Principles would be beneficial.
• Strong attention to detail required
• Strong team working skills
• Ability to communicate and interact with all levels of the organization
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word and Access)
• Lawson would be a plus
• Needs to have initiative and seek process improvements
• Must be able to work independently
The Lifetime Healthcare Companies aim to attract the best talent from diverse socioeconomic, cultural and experiential backgrounds, to diversify our workforce and best reflect the communities we serve.
Our mission is to foster an environment where diversity and inclusion are explicitly recognized as fundamental parts of our organizational culture. We believe that diversity of thought and background drives innovation which enables us to provide leading-edge healthcare insurance and services. With that mission in mind, we recruit the best candidates from all communities, to diversify and strengthen our workforce.
OUR COMPANY CULTURE:
Employees are united by our Lifetime Way Values & Behaviors that include compassion, pride, excellence, innovation and having fun! We aim to be an employer of choice by valuing workforce diversity, innovative thinking, employee development, and by offering competitive compensation and benefits.
In support of the Americans with Disabilities Act, this job description lists only those responsibilities and qualifications deemed essential to the position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c) Non Manager