CSS Farms LLC
Farm Mechanic (Agriculture)
The Farm Mechanic supports the Equipment Manager and Farm Manager in sustaining productive and economic farm operations by performing standard and advanced diagnostics, repair and maintenance on all farm equipment including but not limited to tractors, implements, engines and facilities.
CSS Farms, a multi-state agricultural business, strives to provide innovative solutions and superior quality and service to our customers. With operations in 13 states, CSS is one of the largest growers of chip potatoes and seed potatoes in North America. Our three main business segments include chip potato, seed potato and specialty potato production.
The Farm Mechanic reports to the Equipment Manager and will provide work direction to farm hands as needed.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
The primary responsibility of this position is to efficiently keep equipment at optimum operation level at all times by:
1. Detecting the cause(s) of mechanical, electrical, and hydraulic problems, correcting the cause(s) of the problems, and performing related repairs as necessary.
2. Performing setup and pre-delivery inspection of new equipment.
3. Performing preventive maintenance as recommended by company and related manufacturers.
4. Keeping accurate, complete, and timely records of repair work performed.
5. Operating heavy and light equipment including but not limited to tractors, trucks, pickups, skid steers, loaders and other equipment as needed.
6. Performing welding, acetylene burning, brazing, and soldering as required.
7. Performing general labor and cleaning related to equipment maintenance.
8. Keeps work area safe, neat and organized as necessary for efficient job performance.
Required Position Qualifications
• High School Diploma or equivalent
• Must possess the physical body dexterity and coordination to bend, squat, twist, and crouch to achieve angle and positions required to perform various repairs.
• Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with the operation and repair of both gasoline and diesel engines.
• Demonstrated knowledge of and experience working with hydraulic operation and repairs as related to pumps, controls, and transmission components.
• Demonstrated knowledge of and experience working with electricity and components as it is related to equipment or machinery.
• Demonstrated knowledge of and/or the ability to learn about occupational hazards and safety precautions.
• Ability to read and comprehend repair manuals, electrical schematics, hydraulic schematics and/or written instructions and/or oral instructions for repair work performed.
• Ability to maintain accurate, complete, and timely records for repair work performed.
• Must have sufficient physical strength and ability to independently and repeatedly lift, move and carry objects weighing up to 75 pounds.
• Willingness and ability to perform work extended hours including on weekends, holidays as required by seasonal nature of the business.
• Demonstrated strong work-ethic and exceptional interpersonal skills
• Self-directed individual who leads projects to identify and implement solutions with team input
• Demonstrated parts budget management and inventory control.
• Adaptability to changing situations and have the ability to perform multiple tasks with multiple priorities
• Ability to acquire and hold a valid US driver's license and successfully pass vehicle insurance verification
• Candidates must be eligible to work unrestricted in the U.S. without company sponsorship
• Ability to comprehend, read, write and communicate proficiently in English and interact with all levels of the organization.
Preferred Position Qualifications
• Mechanical, Diesel Technician or other related certifications preferred
• Bilingual in English/Spanish
• Current CDL license
• 5+ years' experience working on farm equipment at an advanced level
CSS Farms provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, CSS Farms complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.