Central Ohio Primary Care
Medical Technologist Lead (MT/MLT) (Healthcare)
Central Ohio Primary Care Physicians is seeking a Lead Medical Technologist (MT/MLT) for our Central Lab located in Columbus, OH. The Lead position performs all phases of pre-analytical, analytical and post-analytical testing in the laboratory. Responsibilities Aid in the seamless communication between teams and shifts and possess limited authority to triage staff issues when they arise. This position is full-time working Monday- Friday 3p-11:30p.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Assist Chief Technologist with oversight of laboratory production operations for assigned shifts.
• Train, develop, motivate and evaluate a competent workforce.
• Serve as a resource for equipment issues and laboratory methods when issues or questions arise.
• Ensure equipment is operating as expected and that all maintenance, startups, shutdowns and quality measures are within expected limits before any test result is released
• Ensure all staff and departments are working in tandem to meet turn-around time benchmarks.
• Perform testing, peer review, and reporting and all routine duties of an MLT or MT.
• Ensure smooth transition between teams and shifts.
• Advise staff on next steps related to troubleshooting down equipment or any other variation outside standing operating procedure
• Consult with supervisor on call as needed.
• Report concerns related to staff, quality, space, safety, etc.
• Mediate minor disputes. Escalate any serious issues to Chief Technologist and Manager.
• Monitor staff workflow, timelines and metrics; identify patterns and trends and recommend solutions. Communicate any issue that will impact turn-around of test results.
• Manage laboratory documentation and LIS information according to lab policy and procedures.
• For assigned technical area of responsibility:
o Complete primary/key operator training and advanced training if available.
o Train new laboratory instrument operators.
o Assist with method validation (reference range verification, accuracy, precision, etc.) and policy and procedure development.
o Ensure proper maintenance is performed and documented.
o Order supplies and monitors inventory.
o Monitor QC performance including supervisor review and weekly Levy-Jennings chart review.
o Perform QA monitors including calibration verification, carryover studies, pipette accuracy, and any others as required by regulatory bodies.
o Provide monthly summary of QA/QC performance to Quality Assessment Coordinator.
• Identify process improvements that reduce time/cost and improve quality; provide recommendations to management for implementation.
• Ensure accurate results prior to reporting.
• Maintain a clean and well-organized work environment.
• Collect data, prepares reports, answers correspondence, and compiles statistics as directed.
• Analyze proficiency testing material and submit results.
• Attend required meetings and participate in committees as requested.
• Fulfill continuing education requirement by completing written assignments or attending workshops.
• Follow all policy and procedures established by Laboratory Director. Follow OSHA guidelines.
• Maintain patient confidentiality.
• All other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
A. Education, Licensures & Certifications
List these in bullet point format, indicating preferred or required for each item.
• MLT: ASCP or equivalent certification as an MLT and/or A.A.S in Medical Laboratory Technology
• MT: ASCP or equivalent certification as MT/MLS and/or B.S in Medical Technology/Medical Laboratory Science.
a. 3-5 years in a highly complex lab required.
b. Leadership experience preferred.
C. Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Detail these in bullet point format, indicating preferred or required for each item. Provide years of prior experience and/or knowledge, as well as all skillsets (e.g., technical, communications, etc.) the employee needs to satisfactorily perform the job.
• Ability to work alternate shift schedules.
• Comprehensive problem-solving skills
• Require understanding of the scientific method and validation techniques.
• Must have outstanding communication skills and other soft skills and ability to interact with staff, guests, providers, patients and company leaders.
• Ability to stay calm under pressure, listen to others and respond professionally.
• Good written communication skills and present numerical data effectively.
• Knowledge of laboratory QA/QC plans and procedures.
• Excellent attention to detail.
• Experience with Microsoft Office Suite software helpful: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.
See job description