Stewart & Stevenson Manufacturing Techno
Electrical Engineer, Sr (Engineering)
Responsible for complex development, design, analysis, testing, and implementation of new or improved designs consisting primarily of engine driven machinery, A/C and D/C drive systems, associated controls and switchgear from 10kw to 5000kw.
• Plan, design and analyze electrical schematics, wiring diagrams, assemblies, sub assemblies and components.
• Perform advanced electrical system circuit, controls and power distribution design and analysis on generator sets, A/C powered well stimulation and drilling machinery and hybrid drive specialty off road vehicles, including electrical systems and sub systems circuit design, selection of all electrical components, wiring harness design, construction and routing.
• Read and interpret electrical blueprints, technical drawings, schematics, and computer-generated reports.
• Assess electrical engineering needs pertaining to new and existing projects and apply existing engineering design or develop new designs as appropriate to meet identified needs.
• Analyze complex purchased and fabricated components to assure functional compatibility to design requirements.
• Confer with vendors, staff, and management regarding product specifications and manufacturing capabilities to achieve desired design.
• Maintain documentation necessary to fulfill regulatory requirements including ISO 9001.
• Delegate work to and direct Designers and/or Drafters in the development of complex new designs or the implementation of Engineering Change Requests (ECR's).
• Assist drafters in developing the electrical design of products, using drafting tools or computer-assisted design/drafting equipment and software.
• Responsible for product design for all electrical functions typically found in diesel engine driven rotating machinery.
• Develop and test models of alternate designs and processing methods to assess feasibility, operating condition effects, possible new applications and necessity of modification.
• Confer with other engineers and staff to implement operation and maintenance schedules and procedures, resolve system malfunctions, and provide technical information.
• Specify system components or direct modification of products to ensure conformance with engineering design and performance specifications.
• Investigate complex equipment failures and system malfunctions and recommend design modifications to eliminate such equipment or system malfunctions.
• Oversee installation, operation, maintenance, and repair to ensure that machines and equipment are installed and functioning according to specifications.
• Conduct research that tests and analyzes the feasibility, design, operation and performance of equipment, components and systems.
• Research and analyze customer design proposals, specifications, manuals, and other data to evaluate the feasibility, cost, and maintenance requirements of designs or applications.
• Develop, coordinate, and monitor all aspects of production, including selection of manufacturing methods, fabrication, and operation of product designs.
• May explain and demonstrate electrical engineering techniques to lower level Electrical Engineers. Assist lower level Electrical Engineers in resolving complex technical problems.
High School Diploma or General Education (GED) and four to ten years related experience. Bachelor's of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering, Electrical Engineering Technology or Applied Physics is required. Master's Degree in Engineering is preferred.
Prior design and electrical engineering experience in on-road or off-road vehicle electrical design or electrical design of other diesel driven machinery such as well stimulation equipment, 500 HP and larger generator sets, construction or agricultural equipment is required
SKILLS & ABILITIES
• Ability to organize and direct a project to completion.
• Ability to communicate in writing clearly and concisely.
• Ability to adapt to change in the workplace.
• Ability to use thinking and reasoning to solve a problem.
• Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word.
• Ability to make critical decisions while following company procedures.
• Ability to work effectively with people regardless of their age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, or job type.
• Ability to think in such a way as to produce a new concept or idea.
Basic computer navigation and utilization skills required. Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) preferred.
Inventor, SolidWorks, or similar three dimension solid modeling / CAD experience is preferred. Electrical design/ drafting system maintenance/experience preferred, AutoCAD electrical, Promise, SolidWorks Electrical.
CERTIFICATES & LICENSES
Passed the Engineer In Training Exam (EIT) and the Professional Engineering (PE) Exam to obtain the PE License is preferred.
Must be familiar with diesel equipment testing methods. Some exposure to IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers) and electrical vehicle standards is preferred.
Physical Abilities Lift /Carry
Stand O (Occasionally) 10 lbs or less O (Occasionally)
Walk O (Occasionally) 11-20 lbs O (Occasionally)
Sit O (Occasionally) 21-50 lbs O (Occasionally)
Handling / Fingering F (Frequently) 51-100 lbs N (Not Applicable) Reach Outward N (Not Applicable) Over 100 lbs N (Not Applicable) Reach Above Shoulder O (Occasionally) Push / Pull
Climb O (Occasionally) 12 lbs or less O (Occasionally)
Crawl O (Occasionally) 13-25 lbs N (Not Applicable)
Squat or Kneel O (Occasionally) 26-40 lbs N (Not Applicable)
Bend F (Frequently) 41-100 lbs N (Not Applicable)
N (Not Applicable) Activity is not applicable to this occupation.
O (Occasionally) Occupation requires this activity up to 33% of the time (0 - 2.5+ hrs/day)
F (Frequently) Occupation requires this activity from 33% - 66% of the time (2.5 - 5.5+ hrs/day)
C (Constantly) Occupation requires this activity more than 66% of the time (5.5+ hrs/day)
OTHER PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Ability to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as required by the position, location, and/or customer
Office environment with some shop environment exposure. Shop environment may not have air conditioning. Moderate Travel may be required during certain periods, including overseas.
The company has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)See job description