The AMES Companies, Inc.
Woodmill Operator 2 (Manufacturing)
Paint Line Operator:
• Hangs wheelbarrow handles on the paint line.
• Removes wheelbarrow handles from the paint line and packs onto pallet for shipment.
• Quality inspection of handles while banding.
Stacker: palletize dowels by length by performing the following duties:
• Places dowels piece by piece in layers, leaving space between edges of adjacent pieces.
• Palletizes dowels by count. Builds pallets as needed.
• Places sticks between layers as stack rises to permit circulation of air and bind stack together.
• Attaches identity card to stacks of lumber and records number of stacks by species for supervisor.
• Quality control inspection of dowels while stacking.
• Assists inspector with inspection duties and packaging for transport.
Inspector: inspects and grades milled, rough sawed, dowels or dimensional stock lumber by performing the following duties:
• Examines dowels and squares on table, moving belt, chain conveyor, or in racks for defects such as knots, stains, decay, splits, faulty edges, pitch pockets, wormholes, and defective milling.
• Assists Mill Manager with accurate inventory control.
• Measures material to ensure specified dimensions. Determines cuts to be made to obtain highest marketable value from material.
• Marks dowels and/or squares to indicate grade and processing instructions.
• Rack all dowels by length and pallet count.
• Tag pallets correctly according to length, diameter, and species.
• Removes unsatisfactory pieces from conveyor or table and places pieces on stacks, in bins, or on carts.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Must be able to add, subtract, multiply and divide.
• Must be able to read and comprehend simple instructions and write simple correspondence.
Relevant Work Experience
• No prior experience
• Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality while cutting costs; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
• Quantity – Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works efficiently.
• Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly; wears all required personal protective equipment (PPE).
• Dependability and Attendance – Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Commits to work hours, arriving on time, each day; Completes tasks on time.
• Industrial lift truck certification
Environmental Environmental/Physical Requirements
Physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand on concrete floor with/without floor mats; and use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms (which may include above and/or below shoulders); bend, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear. The employee is regularly required to use left and/or right hand for simple grasping; fine work, pushing/pulling and low speed assembly. The employee is occasionally required to walk, climb or balance. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds with assistance. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
• The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accomomodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions. The employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
Ames offers competitive compensation and an excellent benefits package including Medical, Dental, Vision, 401(k), Tuition Reimbursement, paid holidays & vacation, and more. We are an equal opportunity employer and a drug-free workplace. Manufacturing