HEARST COMMUNICATIONS, INC.
Editor, Hearst Books and Bookazines (Creative Design)
Why Hearst Magazines?
Hearst Magazines is one of the largest publishers in the world, with more than 25 brands, including Cosmopolitan, ELLE, Esquire, Good Housekeeping, Harper's BAZAAR, Popular Mechanics, and Delish We reach more than 150 million people every month in the United States alone.
But we're more than just our magazines. We engage our audience across all mediums and channels—print, digital, video, and social—with sophisticated content creation, distribution, and data capabilities. We create, package, and sell products with cutting-edge technology and proprietary platforms. Together, we are reinventing publishing for the 21st century.
Hearst Magazines is seeking a talented, versatile editor to work on a variety of lifestyle trade books and newsstand bookazine publications under global Hearst brands including, but not limited to, Car & Driver, Country Living, Delish, House Beautiful, Food Network, Good Housekeeping, HGTV, Men's Health, Prevention, Town & Country, Woman's Day, and Women's Health.
The editor will project-manage their assigned publications from start to finish. They should be able to create a compelling topic lineup and a thoughtful, easy-to-navigate final product that both informs and entertains readers. The candidate must have a strong editorial vision informed by a combination of cultural awareness and an ability to understand relevant data, an ability to adapt new content under parent brand guidelines, excellent editing and writing skills, and have an open-minded, collaborative spirit.
The editor should be able to clearly express their editorial vision to the creative department, art directors, photo editors, and designers and be able to collaborate and communicate with stakeholders. The candidate must be able manage multiple projects and meet project deadlines.
Please note: For consideration, resumes must be submitted in PDF format with a cover letter, salary requirements, and a link to a portfolio of work.
What you'll do:
• Independently edit 20 to 30 bookazines and books annually, managing their production from ideation to writing to editing to fact-checking to proofreading. This may include titles that are being created from scratch, titles that draw on Hearst archives, and reissued titles that require some text and image updates
• Co-manage or assist with additional editorial projects on an as-needed basis
• Access Hearst content database to identify content for use in books and bookazines
• Work with creative directors, designers, and photo editors to create comprehensive and compelling editorial ideas for branded content programs
• Work collaboratively with any partner clients as well as in-house teams
• Manage projects to make sure content is relevant and engaging, copy is clean, and deadlines are met
Who you are:
• You have 4+ years of professional edit experience in print media; prior experience with editing books is a big plus, as is background in editing recipes or cookbooks and working knowledge of InCopy/InDesign and Woodwing
• You have exceptional organizational skills and keen attention to detail
• You have a strong editorial vision, are an excellent writer with solid knowledge of grammar and punctuation
• You have an aptitude and enthusiasm for managing multiple projects simultaneously and a meticulous adherence to deadlines, with the ability to prioritize within a deadline-driven environment
• You have a strong comfort level with being flexible within an entrepreneurial, fluid structure in a small and growing division
• You have a creative approach to problem-solving
• You love to read
As part of its continued efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees, Hearst Magazines requires that all employees who receive a written offer of employment be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus by the first day of employment as a condition of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law. Hearst Magazines will consider requests for reasonable accommodations on an individual basis in accordance with applicable legal requirements.