HEARST COMMUNICATIONS, INC.
Deputy Health Editor, Oprah Daily (Creative Design)
Hearst Magazines' portfolio of more than 25 powerful brands in the U.S.—including Cosmopolitan, ELLE, Esquire, Good Housekeeping, Harper's BAZAAR, Popular Mechanics—inspires, entertains, and builds new and bold experiences for an engaged and growing audience across digital, video, social, and print, reaching nearly 139 million readers and site visitors each month. With sophisticated content creation, cutting-edge technology, and industry-leading data capabilities, we make media and products that move people across all platforms.
We are a global media company that publishes nearly 260 magazine editions and 200 websites around the world and, together, we are reinventing publishing for the 21st century.
Oprah Daily is looking for a deputy health editor to assign and edit (or write) features and columns addressing the wellness and mental health space. The ideal candidate is a nimble editor and writer who has scientific as well as psychotherapeutic literacy and access to doctors, experts, and practitioners across the fields of psychiatry, psychology, and neuroscience, as well as emerging psychotherapeutic fields. This position sits at the intersection of science, medicine, psychology, spirituality, and fitness, combining rigorous journalism with personal narrative and service. It will work across all our platforms, reporting to the senior director, wellness.
For consideration, resumes must be submitted in PDF format with a cover letter, salary requirements, and a link to a portfolio of work. This position is based in New York City; unfortunately, we will not be able to consider remote workers.
What you'll do:
• Pitch, assign/edit, or write features and columns addressing the ever-evolving field of wellness and mental health
• Identify emerging trends in physical health, mental health, neuroscience, and medicine (traditional and alternative/integrative), as well as emerging psychotherapeutic fields such as somatic experiencing and psychedelic therapies
• Discover new voices in the wellness and mental health space to feature across all platforms
• Work closely with the senior director, wellness, to track health, self-help, psychology, big think, fitness, and spirituality books to call in and vet for excerpts, interviews, and best-in-class sources
• Contribute to larger curriculums or packages that reframe the conversation around pressing issues like menopause and longevity
• Bring excellent reporting practices and scientific literacy to every aspect of the job
Who you are:
• 7 years of post-grad editorial experience, with a focus on wellness, at a digital or print media outlet
• Passion for the Oprah brand and for our editorial mission to support our audience's goals to live with purpose
• A deft editor who can tighten and craft copy that is engaging, informative, and actionable
• Able to meet deadlines and work quickly and well in a fast-paced environment
• Attuned to emerging trends and a clever packager of all content, from trending news to primers to first-person essays
• Have a stable of both established and promising new writers who reflect the full spectrum of Oprah's readership
• Excited to pitch story ideas that stand out in the wellness space, align with the brand voice, and have the potential to bring in large audiences using SEO best practices and learnings from Google Analytics and Google Trends
• Highly collaborative and solution-oriented
• Love great storytelling
• Bachelor's degree in journalism or other relevant area
The base salary for this role is between $83,000 and $100,000. The actual base pay offered is dependent upon many factors, such as transferable skills, work experience, business needs, and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future.